Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Caladium heart

Sorry for the lack of updates here on the blog. Summer is the time for family & travel. Thats what I have been doing the last two months. There are some painting in the works but mostly I have been spending lot of time behind the camera but not the easel. Just wanted to share a tiny painting of a leaf that is closer to my heart. Not technically on a canvas but any painting counts as an entry here, right ?

Caladiums are colorful tropical foliage with heart shaped leaf and magenta veins & white dots. You don't need any flowers to brighten up your garden, just a pot of caladium will accomplish that. While growing up, I was crazy about them ( still am). I always wanted to paint it someday.

Instead of canvas I turned to cold porcelain a.K.a air dry clay to paint them. Borrowed some clay from my daughter to construct the leaf. This kind of clay becomes super light weight when dry, almost like a paper. I then painted the leaf with acrylic paint and sealed it with varnish. While I was at it, I made a nice jewellery set for myself :-). Here it is and hope you like it..



In case you are wondering about the caladium plant, this is how it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment